X

Starter Question 1995 Kat Spinning Fast Enough

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Question 1995 Kat Spinning Fast Enough

I think my stater is not turning fast enough, i have a good battery, had it tested at a local shop, how can i tell if the starter is not spinning fast enough, help please, thanks

Q: What's the temp & weather there?
    Q: What's the symptom that makes you suspect the starter isn't spinning fast enough?

Answers:
    Usually when people complain their bike doesn't want to start (and blame the starter, if it's spinning at all), it's usually either fouled plugs [replace spark plugs] or a weak battery [really cold weather can do that -- bring it into the house to warm it overnight before you try to use it] or oil too cold & thick [warm bike indoors], or carb icing [warm bike], or insufficient fuel in the carbs due to evaporation [set petcock to PRIME for 30 seconds before attempting to start].

The starter speed should be the same whether the bike's battery or a car battery are connected to the bike, since the starter should draw a max of about 30 amps and both batteries should be able to muster up 30 CCA's in all weather. As the temps sink, the ability of the battery to come up with power on demand decreases (the chemical reactions at the battery plates occur slower at low temps), and the oil in the bike is thicker (more sludge-like), so there is a corresponding slow-down in how fast the engine turns over. Fuel delivery can also be a problem if there has been fog that froze in your area, since ice crystals can form, blocking carb passages (starving the engine for fuel at start-up). De-icers for fuel can help, but only if the engine is already running normally (because if the passages freeze closed with no fuel in them, the de-icer won't arrive there).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
    X