No announcement yet.
X

Vibration, vibration, vibration.......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration, vibration, vibration.......

Anyone know how or if it is possible to get rid of the buzz in the windshield. Also, is there anything that can be put in the handle bars to cut down vibration. I bought the chrome grips that pass all the vibration in the world. I don't care as much about that. I like the look. The windshield is what really bothers me.

if buz in the grips and windshield are your problem dude you are doing great. try buz in feet, arms, head etc. etc. LOL

get a Ivan Jet kit, it will take alot of the buz out.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

If you find out let me know.I love my bike but hate the buzz

Comment

fill the handlebars with #20 lead shot. That took about 99% of the vibration away in my bars.

Comment

hmm

I have the 04 kat and had the same problem with my windshield. Alot of buzz and vibration.

There are four screws that fasten the windshield my was not corecctly placed. 2 long and 2 shorter screws.
          Check them.
          I'll se if I can take some pics with my crappy mobilecamra on my bike

good luck and let us know if this helps you

Blue Queen
          Write this down. E. M. E. T. I. B. Got it? Now, reverse it.

Comment

give a fat girl a ride on your handlebars!
            KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Pop the two center screws over the third eye on the windshield. Under them you'll find a pop-snap type fastner. Remove it. Put a little foam tape between the bottom center of the windshield and the instrument surround, then use a plastic wire-tie pulled as tight as possible through that hole the pop-snap was in. Replace the third eye cover & 2 cover bolts. Check the rubber boots under the upper windshield screws on the front upper fairings -- if they aren't seated correctly, they don't stop vibration. Finally, check the phillips head screws on the inside of the windshield at the instrument surround -- tighten down.
              These steps together will stop any 98+ Kat windshield from vibrating.

As for the handlebars, more weight = less vibration
              From: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7739

RE: Hand-numbing vibrations around 5.5k - 6k RPM's

Originally posted by wittymonkey
              Ok, tonight I road it and pushed it over 7k up to 10k and indeed the vibrations are less important.
              What does this mean ?
              Originally posted by The CyberPoet

This means that you happen to have a harmonic or sympathetic harmonic vibration somewhere around 5500 - 6k, which is common on the Katana for some bikes (doesn't happen to every Katana).

Q: What is harmonic vibration (sometimes called sympathetic harmonic vibration)?
              A:
              Every item on a motorcycle (or in a car, etc) has some frequency that it naturally wants to resonate at. Just like a bell or a tuning fork has a specific frequency when you ring it, parts of the bike have the same tendency, especially the handle bars (which are a hollow tube, and thus like a type of bell).
              If you take two tuning forks which are tuned to the same frequency, start one vibrating, the other will start vibrating too if it's within audio range. Why? Because the sound (which are vibration waves through air) are at exactly the right frequency to push against it at exactly the right instances to build up the second tuning fork's shaking. This is called harmonic vibration. It doesn't even have to travel through air -- it can just as easily travel through any solid material (such as an I-beam, or in our case, the frame or triple-trees of the motorcycle).
              Thus, when something in your engine, transmission or wheels happens to hit the right frequency to hit the frequency of the handle bar extensions, they vibrate... and if it happens to be at a frequency that messes with your nerve sensors, you get tingley hands (which can lead to more complicated problems, including Raynaud's disease aka Raynaud's syndrome).
              So how do you stop it? You have two basic methods:
              By changing the mass of the bell or the tuning fork, you change the harmonic frequency -- in the same sense, the Katana normally uses a very heavy (compared to most bikes') set of bar-end weights designed specifically to help keep the harmonic frequency out of the range of what the bike normally sees. Increase the bar-end weight, or the bar-weight itself (by filling it with lead or BB's & silicone or epoxy, etc), changes it's vibrational frequency.
              The second method is to track down the origin of the vibration and stop it from happening there (such as sync'ing the carbs and doing a valve adjustment, to the more extreme "balancing the engine's rotating masses").
              Obviously the first method is easier. Thus, if you removed the stock bar-end weights (or replaced them with light-weight replacements), put the stock ones back on. Or get even heavier ones. And then start thinking about weighing down the bar extensions themselves more heavily (commercial products like the "Bar Snake" fill this niche, as well as the home-remedies I listed above).

On a separate note: if either of the bar extensions are unevenly bent compared to the other, this sets up a different kind of vibration that can't be cured by increasing the mass of the bars -- the only good solution is to replace the bent bar with one that isn't bent. This is a frequent occurance in bikes that have been dropped and the bend is small (a few degrees, barely even noticable) -- taking the bars off and laying them against each other will let you see immediately if one is bent at a different angle than the other.

Finally, a word on nerve damage, Raynaud's syndrome (or Raynaud's disease, sometimes called Renauld's disease) and long term risks of riding with bad vibrations. If your hands regularly get tingley from riding, you need to address this issue by either undertaking one of the above fixes or by otherwise damping out the vibration (such as use of gel-palmed gloves, throttle rockers, and/or cruise controls). Failure to do so can result in multiple medical issues with your hands/fingers/wrists, including permanent damages and even cellular death (which can lead to gangrene and amputation in the most extreme of cases). The vibrations can cause disruption of the blood supply in the smallest capillaries, depriving the cells of oxygen, and can also cause your nerves to basically short-wire themselves from too much systematic false input (leading to symptoms of pain or numbness that may be permanent, as well similar reactions at the hands when emotionally triggered in the future). White splotchiness on the palms is often an early symptom... Unfortunately, (according the FDA and the center of rare diseases) much of the info out there on Raynaud's is poor, inaccurate or dated -- the most common sufferers are those who used power tools or other vibratory devices held in their hands for years prior to diagnosis; the subsequent symptoms (post-onset) are usually quoted as being causal when in fact they rarely are. Cold exacerbates the problem because blood flow into the capillaries is already restricted by the body's natural attempts to restrict heat loss, and thus in cold weather this is even more likely to occur.
              The picture below are the hands of a 43-year old male sufferer -- and no, he did not just let go of a set of handlebars or other item; the discoloration is now permanent from the damages associated with Raynaud's:

Look up Renauld's disease for more info.

Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone and thanks Cyber. The bike is at the shop for it's 4,000 mile service. When I get it back I will try that on the windsheild and handlebars.

Comment

Originally posted by katlover
                  Thanks a lot everyone and thanks Cyber. The bike is at the shop for it's 4,000 mile service. When I get it back I will try that on the windsheild and handlebars.
                  4k service?
                  Oh, duh, oil & filter change.
                  Gotcha.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am scared, but my wife seems to like the vibration!
                    Katana 750 2002

Comment

I found the weighted bar ends make a big difference!
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                      Black painted seat and rear trim,
                      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
                        I found the weighted bar ends make a big difference!
                        More info please! What is it and where did you find it?
                        Also, pics?
                        I invite you to church.

Comment

Originally posted by 600toStart View Post
                          More info please! What is it and where did you find it?
                          Also, pics?
                          They are the things on the end of your handlebars. Stock come with weighted bar ends to reduce vibration. My bike shakes a bit, I just go
                          faster to cure it
                          For sale thread Album
                          1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                            Pop the two center screws over the third eye on the windshield. Under them you'll find a pop-snap type fastner. Remove it. Put a little foam tape between the bottom center of the windshield and the instrument surround, then use a plastic wire-tie pulled as tight as possible through that hole the pop-snap was in. Replace the third eye cover & 2 cover bolts. Check the rubber boots under the upper windshield screws on the front upper fairings -- if they aren't seated correctly, they don't stop vibration. Finally, check the phillips head screws on the inside of the windshield at the instrument surround -- tighten down.
                            These steps together will stop any 98+ Kat windshield from vibrating.

As for the handlebars, more weight = less vibration
                            From: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7739

RE: Hand-numbing vibrations around 5.5k - 6k RPM's
                            CP still reaches out to us. .... and I'm glad he does.
                            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Oh okay, somehow I read weighted bars not weighted bar ends. In my few months of riding I haven't had the bar ends and also haven't noticed a vibration. Is it possible to not have vibration without the bar ends?
                              I invite you to church.

Comment

Working...
                              X