X

Winter projects.....need advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter projects.....need advice

This winter I want to install new sprockets and chain + new brake lines.

My question to you, when I buy a chain, do I need to be cut it shorter? And, are there any other tricks I should know about?

Brake lines seem easy enough!
    Always take the long way home.

Brakes:
    When you do the brake lines, replace the crush washers!
    If you replace the lines, it's a good time to substitute in SS-sheathed lines. Look for ones with teflon linings on the inside for best performance.
    My recommendation is that if you can take the time, rebuild the calipers too (disassemble, clean, replace the seals, reassemble).
    DOT 4 brake fluids (no DOT 3, not DOT 5; can use DOT 5.1, but I wouldn't recommend it). Preferred brands IMHO are Castrol GT LMA and Valvoline PowerSynth -- both are clear (making it easy to spot contamination and helping keep the brake fluid reservior window from yellowing) and both are higher boiling temps than standard DOT 4 specs.
    Do not leave your brake system dry for weeks on end -- it will dry out the rubber of both the caliper seals and the master cylinder piston seal, requiring replacement. If possible get everything on either end of the brake system done in a single day.
    It will also be a lot easier to bleed the whole system with SpeedBleeders (KR Special Offer). Yes, I sell them -- cheaply.

Chains:
    You can get chains in the right lengths, or you can get the more common 120 link (which you would have to cut down for stock teeth). You can cut links out of a chain with a dremel easily enough, or a proper chain cutter is about $25.
    Don't get "racing" chains -- get regular chains; if in doubt, contact the specific manufacturer (not vendor!) and ask which chain they recommend for your bike. Racing chains are designed to be short-lived (a race or two) but save weight, and you probably don't want a short-lived chain.
    If you can afford it, get an automatic chain oiler. This will go a long LONG way towards making any chain last two to three times as long as normal.
    Chains have three methods of closure -- unending chains (already closed from the factory, but you have to drop the swingarm to fit it), rivet-style chains (the final link gets it's rivet mushroomed using a tool), and master-link style chains (a snap on link holds the chain together). Master links are weaker than the rest of the chain and I don't like them, so I recommend rivet-style chains for easy installation and longevity, but it requires some tooling to accomplish.
    if your chain is toast, you probably need to replace your sprockets as well. For longevity, steel-toothed or titanium-toothed sprockets are recommended; aluminum weighs less but won't survive nearly as long because aluminum is far softer a metal (even anodized, the substructure is softer than steel).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply. Great info. I will follow your recommendations.

Thanks again

k6a0t0 8)

Comment

Since I'm in the same boat as you this winter, let me know if you find any deals on sprockets, chains, and brake lines. I'll do the same if I find any.

Edit

The was a useful post on GTA (for a change) about chain oilers, one of the guys running a scottoiler got 47,000kms(29,000miles) out of a chain. The chain was still in spec but developed a kink.
        Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
          Since I'm in the same boat as you this winter, let me know if you find any deals on sprockets, chains, and brake lines. I'll do the same if I find any.
          Ditto on the chain and sprockets. I'm looking as well.

Comment

they used to have the best prices on chains ( when i bought mine last year )

tim

also try parts411.com
            or http://www.accwhse.com

Comment

well

How does someone know they have a bad chain? Just asking.
              Ride like there no tommorow.

Comment

Re: well

Originally posted by max*1013
                Kinks, tight spots. Or measure it, you count out a certain amount of links and it has to be less than a certain length, any more and your chain is shot. Yes I'm being vague, my manual is out in the garage and I'm in the basement so I don't have the exact numbers lol.
                Kyle

Comment

Kinks, tight spots. Or measure it, you count out a certain amount of links and it has to be less than a certain length, any more and your chain is shot. Yes I'm being vague, my manual is out in the garage and I'm in the basement so I don't have the exact numbers lol.
                  But you do have legs, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                    But you do have legs, correct?
                    True , it's not like I'm stuck at work .

You want to count out 21 pins, they shouldn't measure more than 319.4mm or 12.6 inches. This is for 98+ BTW.
                    Kyle

Comment

I have tightened my chain to the max and it's still slack! I have about 25,000 km on it. Time for a change!

8)

Comment

Originally posted by k6a0t0
                        I have tightened my chain to the max and it's still slack! I have about 25,000 km on it. Time for a change!

8)
                        Sounds like it, Mine has about 26,000kms on it and it's toast. Last year I did the chain and paid $200 (cdn) for a DID install in St Kitt's. I'm thinking it may be worth while to grab one of those chain breakers/riveters when I order everything else.

I remember reading Spedee or Beekmans chain changing drama on KP when they tried it without the tools, seems like the proper tools may be a good idea lol.
                        Kyle

Comment

Easy way to tell if the chain has seen better days (from my How to understand Motorcycle Chains, Wear and Maintenance :

If when you pull up at the rear of the rear sprocket, you can lift it by 2mm, it's definitely replacement time. This picture shows about 6 to 8mm of lift...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Did realize there was so much to do with the chain. I though as long is it on keep riding. Ok maybe not that bad but close to it. I lube my chain after it rains and I clean it if I see any type of rust on it. So far it looked good but now I know what to look for so I going to have a busy night. Thanks
                            Ride like there no tommorow.

Comment

Working...
                            X